The second meeting of
the TCR Middle East and the 24H Middle East Championship took place
at Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina Circuit last Saturday.
Just like in the previous event at Dubai, René Münnich, and his
Münnich Motorsport Honda Civic dominated the sprint races.
Münnich sprinted from the pole in Race 1, resisted an attempt from
Luc Breukers and pulled away. Breukers held on to the second place
while the Zengő Motorsport cars of Tamás Tenke and Zoltán Zengő were
fighting for third. On lap 4, Zengő stopped along the track with an
engine issue and one lap later Paul Dehadray managed to steal third
from Tenke who eventually retired on the penultimate lap.
Kieran Griffin started from the pole on the reverse grid for Race 2,
but during the first lap he was passed by Münnich and Breukers who
had a brief fight for the lead before the German driver began to
outdistance Breukers. Behind them, Griffin kept Tenke at bay until
the Hungarian pitted with a broken wheel bearing at the end of lap 2.
The Red Camel-Jordans.nl CUPRA of Luc and Ivo Breukers took its
maiden win in the 4-hour race. The JW Bird VW Golf GTI of
Dehadray-Griffin finished an impressive second, one lap behind, but
having set a fastest lap a full second quicker than the race winners.
The Zengő Motorsport CUPRA driven by Zoltán Zengő and Csába Tóth
rounded out the podium one further lap down, while the sister car
that Zengő shared with Tenke retired with a technical issue.
As for Münnich, he drove for 37 laps in order to score the 10-point
bonus for the TCR Middle East.
Both series – TCR Middle East and 24H Middle East – will come to an
end at Dubai Autodrome tomorrow, with the two sprint races and the
4-hour Race 3.
1. René Münnich (Münnich Motorsp., Honda Civic), 12
2. Luc Breukers (Red Camel-Jordans.nl, CUPRA), 54.168
3. Paul Dehadray (JW Bird Motorsp., VW Golf), 1:01.375
1. René Münnich (Münnich Motorsp., Honda Civic), 13
2. Luc Breukers (Red Camel-Jordans.nl, CUPRA), 39.791
3. Kieran Griffin (JW Bird Motorsp., VW Golf), 41.230
4H Abu Dhabi
1. Red Camel, CUPRA (L. Breukers-I. Breukers), 92 laps
2. JW Bird Motorsp., VW Golf (Dehadray-Griffin), 1 lap
3. Zengő Motorsport, CUPRA (Zengő-Tóth), 2 laps
Championship points – TCR Middle East
1. Münnich 130 pts; 2. L. Breukers 100; 3. Zengő 55
Championship points – 24H Middle East
1. L. Breukers 43 pts; 2. Zengő & Tóth 40